Recently I passed the 350 mark in my collection of intranet and Yammer promotion videos. Time for another modest celebration!
More and more intranets are promoting a section for video content, so I guess this is a new trend.
Otherwise, “simplification” and “user feedback” still play an important role in every relaunch, and so they should 🙂 .
Also, more and more intranets (but not all!) are social, and “usable on all devices” is starting to be the norm, rather than the exception.
Of course my collection is meant for your information and amusement, but I occasionally hear that people are using it as a serious starting point for their own video. In general, I can suggest the following steps:
1. Check what related organizations have done
Use the filter and see what your industry peers are doing, and what their intranets look like, if the video shows that. Most selections contains a variety of styles (talking heads, animations, demo’s, stories, serious, funny, etc. ) that may give you ideas about the sort of video you would like to create.
2. Determine your boundaries
Watch my list of rather extreme videos. Do you also want to create a full movie, a very silly video, have a hysterical voice-over, or would you rather stay on safer ground?
3. Watch metaphors for solving common business issues
If you are looking for metaphors of solving common business problems such as too many emails, or not knowing where the expertise is in your company, this selection may help you on your way.
4. When in doubt, create a demo
A well-made demo is always worth the investment, so if you have no other needs or wishes, a demo may be the best way moving forward.
- you can show employees how to work with the intranet, reducing the need for extensive classroom or webinar training
- you can show employees how they are supposed to work, if a new way of working is among your goals for the new intranet. In a demo video it can be done subtly and matter-of-fact.
- it can be used for onboarding new employees for a long time after the launch
- if you share it, we can see your intranet! 🙂
This is my selection of good demos.
I hope you can use these tips to create your own video. And please remember to put it online for others to enjoy!
It never ceases to amaze and delight me that so many people enjoy my videos. I even got sort of suggested for the Diamond Award of IntranetsNow 2017!
And finally, to celebrate, I have a very special video: the one that was made to celebrate the launch of the new intranet of my former employer Sara Lee, in 2005. It has not been added to my collection yet – you saw it here first! It is “vintage”, so please ignore the bad quality 🙂
And then to think this all started as a whimsical blog post!
Image courtesy of vectorolie at FreeDigitalPhotos.net (“350” added by me)