Update February 2019.
The new icons have arrived! The “Good morning” message has disappeared, which is a pity, especially as the words “Apps” does not really add much to the party. And the Search bar is now in the top middle. I think this is the reason that the company logo has moved from this position to the lest some months ago. It breaks up the nice colour gradient of my pencils though 😦
The bottom part has not changed. I am still looking for non-document updates, such as emails or notifications from Teams or Yammer.
Please scroll down for older versions of the Office365 landing page.
Update February 2018.
Microsoft has recently made some changes to the Office365 Homepage. You know you will never have a dull moment when you subscribe!
The landing page now looks like the screenshots below. Compared to the last version, it has more white space and the icons are less bulky and coloured (I hope you have not created custom icons in white 🙂 )
It is more gentle on the eyes than the previous design, although that may also have been my own choice of theme.
The profile photo is also better integrated into the design, and my name is displayed.
It now shows more than just “recent” documents, and it shows folders in OneDrive and your Frequent and Followed sites, meaning you will be able to access your favourite sites from this page. This means it is becoming more relevant as the landing page.
My desire to see more non-document updates is still there though. I would be perfectly happy to have this as the landing page to start my working day from, but then it needs different content as well.
In my original post below you will find screenshots of the two most recent versions, as well as what I would like to see next.
This is the original post from June 2016:
Yesterday I logged in to my Office365 and I immediately thought : “Wow, that looks nice”. It is not often that I am struck by a beautiful page, so I decided to write about it.
This is it:
First good impressions:
- The small top bar is much larger now and that really looks good. It must be my Raspberry theme, although it also looks cool with Cats 🙂
- The welcome message is nice, although I know it is calculated from my timezone and my account. Still, it looks vibrant and cheerful.
- Your most recent documents are displayed underneath.
- You immediately see you can install software. On iPad, you can download Office apps.
What would I like to see as improvements?
- It would be nice if you could also search for other things than documents. I am trying to wean myself (and my colleagues) of documents where possible, and this does not help.
- That also goes for the recent documents underneath the apps. I would like to see my unread email, or my unread Yammer messages, or the Tasks due today, as well as documents. If Office365 is going to be my Digital Workplace, it should display more than just documents.
- A little badge on each app to show the number of unread messages, or new tasks, or something like that, would also be nice!
- The coloured bar overlaps the profile picture a little, so that needs some tweaking.
And this is the page as it used to look (on a different tenant) or still looks, if you are not on First Release.
All in all, I quite like this change and I think it can be made even better!