The first page I see when I open a browser on my work laptop is the intranet. That was the case in my previous job and in my current one. When I see peers open a browser window, I rarely see another page, like a search engine page; it is generally an intranet homepage that opens first.
When discussing our new digital workplace the other day, we wondered which page should open when you open your browser. With Office 365 you have a number of options.
- One person wanted the intranet homepage to be the first page shown, like it is today.
- Another suggested the Delve page, although he realized that will not be the best page for launch since it needs to fill up with relevant content before people will see the benefits. I personally like the Delve-page, but not as a browser home page. To me it feels too much like a “filter bubble”.
- A third colleague thought that the SharePoint homepage would be the best option, since it would have all your sites in one place.
- I preferred the Office 365 landing page since I think that is the best representation of the Digital Workplace. It has all the tools I need on a regular basis: Email, Yammer, Office, SharePoint. With the recent improvements, however small, I think there is a great potential to turn that page into a very useful dashboard to start your working day.
We clearly did not agree so I decided to ask the question in the Office 365 network on Yammer.
The results surprised me!
- Most organizations have “a specific SharePoint page” as their browser homepage. I assume that is the “intranet homepage”, because the people who voted “Other”, mentioned their intranet homepage as well, but those were not (yet) on Office 365.
- A surprisingly high number of organizations (19%!) leave the decision to the user. This is totally unthinkable in my corporate world so perhaps these answers were given by smaller consultancies.
- A disappointing 14% had the Office 365 landing page as their browser opening :-(.
I have given my feedback about the new Office 365 landing page to Microsoft. I hope they will develop this quickly so I will get my way one day after all 🙂
BTW, since then we decided that the new intranet homepage will be the chosen page.
If you are on, or planning to move to Office 365, what have you selected as your browser homepage?
Image courtesy of atibodyphoto at FreeDigitalPhotos.net