In the old days, it was customary to receive a gold watch from your employer, after you had worked there for 25 or 40 years or when you retired.
Today, it is more likely you will receive a watch when you START your new job. It will not be gold, it will be smart. 🙂
I really like watches, but I have trouble imagining how a smartwatch could add something to my day. I have already turned most PC and telephone notifications off, because I do not want to be distracted all the time. Do I really need another kind of noise? Is there any essential functionality that would not involve a notification?
Perhaps you have other ideas. Perhaps you already have implemented smartwatch functionalities or other wearable tech on your intranet. Perhaps you have something else which is really innovative on your intranet. If you have, please think about sharing this with the world!
I am proud to be one of the judges for the Intranet Innovation Awards this year, and I am looking forward to interesting innovations on intranets and digital workplaces. I am mostly interested in “things” that improve productivity, but I am open to all good ideas :-).
What is in it for you?
As you probably know, the Awards provide a really good insight into the current state of the intranet/digital workplace. Everyone will benefit from that. But there are also benefits for yourself:
- Describing what makes your intranet (or part of it) innovative, will make you rethink your intranet’s goals and purpose. When is the last time you did that?
- By sharing your insights and screenshots you will contribute to the collective knowledge of all intranet folks
- You have the chance to win a nice crystal trophy and a lot of career-enhancing attention
- You and your intranet may turn into a good example for your peers for years to come
So come on, make some screenshots, complete and dispatch the entry form before June 6, and feel good about yourself!
How to participate:
There are five categories for the Gold Awards, and organisations can submit for one or more of these categories:
1. Core intranet functionality
2. Social, collaboration and communication
3. Business and frontline
4. Enterprise mobility
5. Intranet rework
You can find much more information, as well as useful tips, on the site.
I am looking forward to all entries!